I am excited to welcome author Jennifer Chance, who’s celebrating the release of her new novel, Rock It.
Lacey Dawes is a total pro at the talent agency where she works, and it doesn’t hurt that IMO Worldwide Media represents Dante Falcone. The rock god has starred in her fantasies since she was sixteen—and remains her secret crush to this day. So when Dante picks her to be the interim manager on his Dream It tour, Lacey can’t believe her luck. Handling Dante is sure to be the most exquisite, spine-tingling, nerve-wracking mix of business and pleasure ever.
Although Dante is grateful for the adoring fans who scream for one more of his full-throttle, soul-searing songs, being surrounded by a cadre of corporate types backstage is wearing thin. Then Lacey shows up. Yeah, she’s organized, smart, quick to get him what he wants before he knows he wants it—but Dante senses there’s something else going on with sweet, sexy Lacey. One kiss tells him what that “something” might be . . . and makes him hungry for more.
Make sure you stick around to the end. During the blog tour for Rock It, Jennifer is giving away an iPod Shuffle (open to US entrants only, if international entrant is chosen they’ll receive a $50 gift card to the eTailer of their choice). Additionally, Random House is sponsoring the tour with a $50 e-giftcard, and swag including a Loveswept mug and tote (open to US entrants only).
Meet the Characters of Rock It
The characters of Rock It are a mix of individuals who are each searching for their own answers to the stories of their lives: the rocker and the fangirl, the friends and housemates, the members of the band, and the less than awesome boss. The following characters are the key players in the Rock It universe!
Lacey Dawes is a 22 yr old junior agent for IMO Worldwide Media. She’s always loved music, and the music of one performer in particular—Dante Falcone, former boybander extraordinaire and now a multi-platinum rock star. Lacey is fun, determined and a go-getter, but also a little insecure about herself when it comes to boys, particularly since she’s lived in a fantasy world for so long regarding Dante.
- Name and Professional Affiliation: Lacey Dawes, Junior Agent for IMO Worldwide Media
- Height: 5’ 5” (approx.)
- Weight: Healthy, not stick-thin
- Age: 22 years old
- Hair: Brunette
- Eyes: Blue
- Bio: Lacey grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania, went to college on the East Coast, graduated magna cum laude in multi-media communications and PR. She is now a junior exec with IMO Worldwide Media.
- Turn ons: Music, Dante Falcone, really great shoes
- Turn offs: Micro-managing bosses, sexed-up groupies, mean girls, crowds
- Favorite Song: “Believe Me”, by Dante Falcone
- Favorite Hobby: scrapbooking (back when she had time for hobbies)
- Key point of interest (author’s choice): Lacey is intensely single-minded—in her devotion to Dante, in her studies, in her work. She’ll do what it takes to make things work.
- Interesting fact relating to the series (author’s choice): Lacey and Anna are best friends who met when they came to Boston after graduation. They met Erin while looking for housing, and moved into the Brownstone shortly thereafter
Dante Falcone is a 24 yr old rock star who was discovered ten years earlier during a Battle of the Bands high school competition. Over the next few years, he followed his dream until he was an international teen pop icon—then he transitioned to full-on rock star with the fame, fortune and fans to match. Along the way, he has tried to stay true to his roots and his ideals, but he struggles with balancing his responsibilities as a rock star with his desire to play new, original music that speaks to his heart. He can have any woman he wants—but he is searching for something more.
- Name and Professional Affiliation: Dante Falcone, Lead Singer and Guitarist for the rock band Paradiso who selects Lacey as his interim manager from IMO while on his Dream It tour.
- Height: 6’2” (approx.)
- Weight: Slender and fit but not musclebound
- Age: 24 years old
- Hair: Brunette
- Eyes: Brown
- Bio: Dante grew up in a middle class home in Baltimore, MD, pursuing music in his garage and at school functions. He and his band gained notice when Dante was 14, and he worked his way onto a national “Star Search” style TV show where he won a recording contract. From there he hit the road, eventually splitting with his original band and becoming a brand name, headlining Paradiso and performing in sold out shows. Now he is transitioning off the touring circuit after two more obligations, the first being the Dream It YouTube video tour, where a camera crew will follow Dante around for 2 weeks as he goes on tour down the East Coast, uploading videos every night.
- Turn ons: Music, sexy, curvaceous women, blonds (usually), fans, silky and feminine clothes on a woman
- Turn offs: corporate suits, pushy agents, and working around the clock without any downtime
- Favorite Song: “Creep”, by Radiohead
- Favorite Hobby: Noodling on new songs that remind him of why he got into music
- Key point of interest (author’s choice): Dante is bemused by his own success—he revels in it, but he doesn’t feel like he’s playing the music that really matters. He’s become too much of a “brand name” to be truly individualistic.
- Interesting fact relating to the series (author’s choice): Unlike the other three love interests in the Rule Breakers series, Dante has no family ties to Boston.
Can you introduce us to a few of the side characters that we’ll be meeting or who will play an important role to/for Lacey/Dante?
In addition to the primary characters, you’ll meet a few folks who really make the difference in Lacey’s and Dante’s journeys. The most important of these are Harry McGraw, the tour manager, and Steve Gwynn, the band’s guitarist.
First, Harry: Harry McGraw was the band’s de facto tour manager. He’d been with Paradiso since it had formed five years ago, but more important, he’d been with Dante since he had first started touring with his original band, The Dream Team. Under Harry’s shrewd eye, Dante had gone from a doe-eyed Disney Channel crooner to the hottest ticket in entertainment for the tween and teen set.
And then Steve: Steve Gwynn is the lead guitarist for Paradiso, a thirty year old journeyman rocker who is living the dream. He knows he’s not the star of the show, but he’s happy to go along with the ride, taking everything as it comes. His signature line? “Life of a superstar…Sometimes you score a really hot babe—sometimes she tries to kill you.”
Was there any character that didn’t make as big of an impact on the story that you thought they would?
Yes! Miranda Pierce is mentioned oh-so-briefly. She’s Dante’s ex-girlfriend, and I thought she would prove to be a big concern in the story. However, Lacey’s boss Brenda is so over-the-top manipulative and devious, that she crowded out any other femme fatale.
Was there a character who stayed on the page longer than you thought they would?
Steve, actually. I expected him to just be a bit player in one scene, but he ends up being the foil in a number of conversations, both as an example of “the road not traveled” for Dante, but also as someone who is comfortable in his own skin, who has found his place in the world. There’s a comment he makes near the end of the book about him playing his guitar “just for himself” one day, and that made me smile.
Thanks for letting me share a bit about the characters of Rock It! They were a great bunch to get to know as I wrote the book.
Meet Jennifer Chance!
I come by romance honestly, having spent several years writing adult romance and entering romance contests through Romance Writers of America–including finaling twice in the prestigious Golden Heart contest and winning once. But despite these and other contest wins, my first published novel came not in adult romance, but as a writer of YA historical fiction (you can read all about my Elizabethan spy girls stories, the Maids of Honor, here.)
Still, despite my love of Elizabethan spies, I could never quite give up those super Alpha contemporary romance heroes. So, in the summer of 2013, I decided to see if perhaps I might still have a romance or two up my sleeve.
I wrote a tale about a girl whose biggest high-school and college crush–a rock star–suddenly becomes her biggest client, only now she has to be professional and not betray the fact that she’s completely in love with the guy. It was a fun, sexy, romantic fantasy, and I suggested the idea to my agent… who asked what other ideas I had in addition to this story. Shortly after, the Rule Breakers series was born.
To separate these books from my historical work, I adopted the name Jennifer Chance. I am now pursuing my dreams (pretty much round the clock as it turns out) and am THRILLED to be able to have four e-books coming out in 2014 and early 2015, all with Random House LoveSwept’s New Adult romance line.
As to what will happen from here, who knows? But as long as there is a story to be written and an HEA to be had, I’ll be the one over in the corner, tapping away on my keyboard.
Want to purchase Jennifer’s novels?
Maids of Honor (writing as Jennifer McGowan)
Thank you Jennifer for taking the time to stop by Literary Escapism!
Don’t forget, this is only one chance to enter for the fabulous prizes. For even more ways to enter, check out the rest of the Rock It blog tour