Can you introduce yourself to my readers a little?
*waves* Hi! I’m an urban fantasy and romance author from Michigan who is slowly breaking into the new adult market. My urban fantasy work deals with a war in the vampire community and I straddle a lot of sub-genres of romance.
Can you introduce us to the world(s) that you have created?
My urban fantasy series, Blood Kissed, revolves around a war in the vampire community because a prophecy has come to pass. The woman at the center of the prophecy is destined to destroy or rule the vampires once she comes into her power. The only way to stop her is to kill her before that happens. (Kiss of Death is out now, and Kiss of Life *might* be out in time for RT.)
My steampunk romance series with Carina Press is very action-adventure in nature. It takes place in a very divided America where technology wars with nature. (Badlands and Clockwork Mafia are the two titles available.)
I’ve done some paranormal romance shorts that deal with Santa’s elves for holiday anthologies with Evernight Publishing. Those all revolve around Santa trying to find a happily-ever-after for someone. (A Dark and Delicious Christmas, Stockings & Suspenders, and A Vanilla Free Christmas are the anthologies.)
And my contemporary romantic-suspene-ish series with Entangled Publishing follows the agents of a super secret spy organization called TRAIT (Gaming for Keeps, Conning For Keeps). Every book is a new mission in a new place, and the agents all have little quirks that make them not fit in to the rest of the intelligence community but make them perfect for TRAIT.
Under my other name, I’m also breaking into the new adult romance market soon (maybe even in time for RT *crosses fingers*) with a book called Fall with Me. It’s a contemporary romance about falling for the best friend’s brother while trying to get revenge on the guy who left her behind.
Will this be your first RT or are you a veteran? Any advice for those who are going for the first time?
I’m a veteran and my advice could go for pages LOL. I’m going to limit myself to 5 points:
- Pace yourself. I always fail at this and am DEAD by the end of the week. Come prepared to be tired but also to have a great time.
- Hydrate and eat. I notoriously forget to eat at cons, which is bad juju when you’re expected to present panels. And stick to water as much as you can. You’ll be on your feet a lot and it’s no fun when the cute shoes no longer fit by the end of the week.
- Don’t be a wallflower. RT can be intimidating because it’ll seem like everyone knows everyone else. We didn’t start that way. Introduce yourself to one person at every event you go to. I promise by the end of the week you’ll have a bunch of friends. Unless…
- Don’t be a jerk. There’s a saying about how you shouldn’t judge someone just because they choose to sin differently than you do. Have fun YOUR way, but don’t make judgements about people who do it differently. (You never know when your new friend might be besties with one of those people you’re pointing at.)
- Be nice to the models. They’re great guys and they flirt a lot–because it’s their job. Flirt back, but watch the hands (yours). Be respectful of the fact that they are professionals, not the RT meat market.
Are you speaking on any panels during RT? Are there any you are looking forward to or are planning on attending?
I AM! I actually had to bow out of one because I was feeling overwhelmed.
- Wednesday at 2:30-4:45 I’ll be at the Entangled Candy and Spoons party. This was a lot of fun last year. Can’t wait to do it again.
- Thursday 10:00-11:00 I’ll be on the “Putting the Steam in Steampunk” panel. Yes, we’ll be talking sex at ten in the morning. Should be entertaining.
- Thursday 1:30-2:30 is the Steampunk Carnivale Tea. This event is packed every year. It’s a lot of fun and if you want to see a variety of steampunk costuming, it’s the place to be.
- Friday 11:15-12:15 I’ll be on the From Aether to Zeppelin: Steampunk Basics panel. If you’re curious about more than the clothes, this is a good spot to learn.
- Saturday 11:00-2:00 is the Giant Book Fair. I’ll be signing in the e-book section. Please stop by and say hi!
I’m always looking forward to the parties, and the Bar Crawl should be a lot of fun. I’ll be wherever Entangled Publishing is stationed that night :)
Is there anything in particular you’re looking forward to or experiencing while in New Orleans?
I’ve only been to New Orleans once and it was a rather brief stop. Plus, this time I’ll be there with my girlfriends which totally ups the awesome factor by about a thousand. I’m going early so I can do some touristy things like a vampire tour and learning more about Marie Laveau and voodoo. And the food. Definitely looking forward to the food.
If someone were wanting to meet up with you at RT, who should they look for?
The crazy person who looks like she both has no clue what’s going on and very determined to get…somewhere. Also, likely corseted, possibly with a bustle. Since I’m friends with several of the models, near them is always a good place to look too :P
Seriously, I tend to get a little frazzled at RT (especially the first day when I don’t know where anything is). If I’m not corseted, I’ll likely be in jeans or capris and a t-shirt. I’m very casual. Since I’ll be recently post-dye-job, my hair will be redder than it is in my picture too.
The 2014 RT Booklovers Convention will be held in New Orleans on May 13th – 18th at the Marriott hotel on Canal Street in the historic French Quarter. For the full list of attending authors, who will be signing at the Giant Book Fair on May 17th, here they are: All Authors, Young Adult Authors, and New Adult Authors.