It’s not long now before the invasion of The Coastal Magic Convention will hit Daytona Beach, Florida. Casey and I will be in attendance and this past weekend the official schedule was posted. Have you seen some of the fabulous events being planned? I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m thinking Casey and I will be having a fantastic time.
If you’ve been thinking of ditching any snow and cold weather (if you have any) and joining us in Daytona Beach, registration through EventBrite will be closing on January 14th. If you are planning to register, you need to get your hotel room NOW. The group rate with the Hilton is only valid until tomorrow (Jan 5th), which means if you wait much longer, you’ll be paying full price for your room. If you call to reserve your room, be sure to mention the group rate code – CMBT. You can get your room now and register after the 5th if need be, just remember to do so before Jan 14th.
Here’s the full CMC Schedule, or check out the downloadable 2015 CMC Schedule to see all the fun to be had.
Thursday, Feb 5, 2015
5pm – 10pm: Check-in / Welcome Bag Pickup (resumes 9:00am Friday and Saturday)
6pm – 12am: Game Room (board games, card games, etc.) – open to all attendees
Friday, Feb 6, 2015
9am – 10am
- All Creatures Great And Small – Vamps & Werewolves seem to top the list of UF/PNR creatures, but they are not the ONLY paranormals to steal our hearts! A chat about dragons, fae, witches, and more. – Alivia Anders, Vaughn R Demont, Jeffe Kennedy, Stephanie Julian, Rane Sjodin, Tigris Eden, Elisabeth Naughton
- Non “Others” – The importance of the humans in our favorite UF/PNR stories. – Chudney Thomas, Deborah Cooke, Jess Haines, Kiernan Kelly, Jordan K Rose, Kelly Meding.
- My Hero – Is your perfect hero an “alpha”? Are they “flawed”? What makes readers swoon for the leading man? – Kait Ballenger, KC Burn, Kristen Painter, Tere Michaels, Lia Davis, J A Souders
10:15am – 11:15am
- Forever & Ever – Keeping a series fresh and interesting when there’s no real end in sight. – Paige Tyler, Christina Farley, Angie Fox, Eric R Asher, Julie Kenner, Coreene Callahan.
- Out Of The Genre Box – Paranormal authors who also write contemporary/historical/suspense/etc. Why they do it, and what’s in it for their paranormal fans? – Tigris Eden, Hildie McQueen, Seressia Glass, Donna Grant, Damon Suede, Tina Wainscott
- Bite Me! – Readers’ continued fascination with Vamps & Weres in UF/PNR. What’s hot & what’s next. – Terry Spear, Amanda Carlson, Stephanie Julian, Molly Harper, Jan DeLima, Jess Haines.
11:30am – 12:30pm
- Meet & Greet – J A Souders, Tawdra Kandle, Lucienne Diver
- Meet & Greet – Lisa Kessler, Lee Roland, Poppy Dennison, Kiernan Kelly
- Meet & Greet – Lia Davis, Deborah Cooke, Coreene Callahan, Aria Kane, Tina Wainscott
2:15pm – 3:15pm
- M Squared – Gay UF & PNR at it’s best. Where to start, what’s hot, and what’s coming soon. – Kiernan Kelly, K C Burn, Tere Michaels, Poppy Dennison.
- Urban Fantasy Rulemakers (and Rulebreakers) – Creating, and sticking to, the rules of a paranormal society. – Jenna Black, Elliott James, Amanda Carlson, Lee Roland, Kelly Meding, Nancy Holzner Elliott James
- Life With An Author – Family members of Featured Authors dish about life with a loved one on deadline. – TBD
3:30pm – 4:30pm
- Meet & Greet – Carrie Ann Ryan, Larissa Ione, Christopher Rice, Lexi Blake
- Meet & Greet – Jaye Wells, Kelly Meding, Nancy Holzner, Paige Tyler, K C Burn
- Mad Hatter Tea Party (M&G) – Hildie McQueen, Jordan K Rose, Kristen Painter, Chudney Thomas, Terry Spear
4:45pm – 5:45pm
- 1001 Dark Nights – Series Q&A – Larissa Ione, Carrie Ann Ryan, Donna Grant, Elizabeth Naughton, Lexi Blake, Christopher Rice, Julie Kenner
7:00pm – 10:00pm: TBD
9:00pm – 11:00pm: Cinema Craptastique – Movie Title TBD – Damon Suede, Molly Harper, Vaughn R Demont, Angie Fox, Kiernan Kelly, Jess Haines, Jeffe Kennedy – and more!!
Saturday, Feb 7, 2015
9:00am – 10:00am
- Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The End Of The World – Comedy in UF/PNR – Vaughn R Demont, Jaye Wells, Molly Harper, Angie Fox, Julie Kenner, Lee Roland
- Novellas & Short Stories – Making the most of a two hour read. – Deborah Cooke, Aria Kane, Amanda Carlson, Seressia Glass, Kait Ballenger, Kristen Painter, Carrie Ann Ryan
- The Perfect Villain – Bad guys we love to hate. – Coreene Callahan, Jan DeLima, Larissa Ione, Kiernan Kelly, Tina Wainscott, Jordan K Rose
10:15am – 11:15am
- Wrapping It Up – Ending a series in a way that makes authors AND readers happy. Moving on to something new, and taking your fanbase. – Deborah Cooke, Lisa Kessler, Donna Grant, Christina Farley, Hildie McQueen, Carrie Ann Ryan, Maureen McGowan
- The Scooby Gang – The importance of “side” or “support” characters in our favorite stories. – Kristen Painter, Stephanie Julian, Tawdra Kandle, Coreene Callahan, Paige Tyler, Jaye Wells
- Been There / Done That – Stories that bust stereotypes in gay urban fantasy and paranormal romance. – Vaughn R Demont, Damon Suede, Tere Michaels, Poppy Dennison, K C Burn.
11:30am – 12:30pm
- Meet & Greet – Elizabeth Naughton, Julie Kenner, Donna Grant
- Meet & Greet – Angie Fox, Molly Harper, Damon Suede, Rane Sjodin
- Meet & Greet – Jan DeLima, Elliott James, Jeffe Kennedy, Stephanie Julian
12:30pm – 2:00pm: Lunch with an Author
2:15pm – 3:15pm
- Paranormal Mystery – Who Dunnit? An intro to the cozy(ish) subgenre. – Lexi Blake, Angie Fox, Jaye Wells, Rane Sjodin, Poppy Dennison
- PC in UF/PNR – How authors incorporate or avoid political and social issues in their stories. – Kelly Meding, Nancy Holzner, Terry Spear, J A Souders, Jenna Black, Maureen McGowan, Elisabeth Naughton
- Man Up! – Panel of male UF/PNR authors discuss how they approach storytelling. Is there any difference from their female counterparts? – Eric R Asher, Vaughn R Demont, Elliott James, Christopher Rice
3:30pm – 4:30pm: Flash Fiction – Authors create a fast-paced, on-the-spot story using prompts from the audience. – Damon Suede, Lucienne Diver, Kiernan Kelly, Nancy Holzner, Lisa Kessler, Alivia Anders, Jeffe Kennedy
5:00pm – 7:30pm: Public Book Sale / Signing
9:00pm – 1:00am: Mixer
Sunday, Feb 8, 2015
9:00am – 10:00am: Charity raffle basket winners announced. Winners can pick up baskets until 12:00pm. Alternate winners will be selected between 12:00pm and 2:00pm.
10:00am – 11:00am
- Mythology, Fairy Tales, & Legends – The stories that inspire our stories. Which of the old tales are most used, and best used. How to make them work in today’s UF/PNR. – Lia Davis, Aria Kane, Seressia Glass, Larissa Ione, Tigris Eden, Jeffe Kennedy, Lee Roland
- Kick-Ass Heroines – Our favorite leading ladies . How important is it to have a heroine who is both soft and strong? – Paige Tyler, Jess Haines, Christina Farley, Tawdra Kandle, Lucienne Diver, Jan DeLima, Julie Kenner
- How REAL Is Your FANTASY? – How far can you push the boundries of a “believable” paranormal story. What’s the research process like, and how much does the FBI know? – Eric R Asher, Nancy Holzner, J A Souders, Maureen McGowan, Terry Spear, Chudney Thomas, Rane Sjodin
11:15am – 12:15pm
- Meet & Greet – Alivia Anders, Christina Farley, Maureen McGowan, Jenna Black
- Create The Perfect Cover! – Author Activity – Ever wonder what goes into the making a great cover? From title to graphics, you will create a masterpiece for the authors. In this interactive event, readers will work alongside authors to create the perfect cover for their books. – Hildie McQueen, Jordan K Rose, Chudney Thomas
- Meet & Greet – Eric R Asher, Jess Haines, Tere Michaels, Kait Ballenger
12:30pm – 1:30pm
- Soundtracks / Playlists – The groove behind some of our favorite characters and stories. – Tigris Eden, Aria Kane, Alivia Anders, Tawdra Kandle, Lia Davis
- Authors In The Audience – Full panel of authors with questions for YOU!!! – Hildie McQueen, Lee Roland, Tina Wainscott, Jenna Black, Eric R Asher, Larissa Ione
- Little Thing Called Love – Balancing a great (hot) romance within the worldbuilding of paranormal romance. – Christopher Rice, Lucienne Diver, Chudney Thomas, Terry Spear, Lexi Blake, Lisa Kessler
1:30pm – 2:00pm : Farewell – Informal chat about what worked at this year’s con, and what we can improve on for Coastal Magic 2016. Authors and readers welcome!