SciFi Wire is reporting that Charlaine Harris has announced the end for the Southern Vampire/Sookie Stackhouse series. In her recent interview with CNN, Harris said she has a contract for 12 Sookie novels and that will probably end out the series. It doesn’t sound like she was solid on ending the series at 12, but she doesn’t want Sookie to get played out.
For those looking forward to the premier of V on ABC, they’ve posted the first eight minutes of the pilot at their site. I’m not familiar with this series, which has been done before, but considering who some of the cast members are – Morena Baccarin and Alan Tudyk (Firefly), Scott Wolf (Party of Five) Elizabeth Mitchell (Lost)- it has my attention.
Check out what SciFiGuy unearthed (via Fantasy Dreamer’s Ramblings)…it’s the cover for the next Women of the Otherworld novel by Kelley Armstrong. Waking the Witch will be released August 3, 2010 and features Savannah in her own adventure. SciFiGuy has the blurb, so head over if you want to see what Savannah is going to be up to.
- Maggie Stiefvater, author of Shiver, by Beta ISEB.net
- Jocelynn Drake, author of Dawnbreaker, by Bitten by Books
- Gail Z. Martin, author of the Chronicles of the Necromancer series, by Patricia’s Vampire Notes
- Charlaine Harris, author of the Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire series, by The Vault
- Chloe Neill, author of Friday Night Bites, by the Chicago Sun Times
- Seanan McGuire, author of Rosemary and Rue, by Genreville
- Maria Lima, author of Blood Kin, at Amberkatze Reviews
- Lauren Dane, author of Trinity, at Nikki Duncan
- Vivi Andrews, author of Ghost Exterminator: A Love Story, at Nikki Duncan
- Vivian Arend, author of Wolf Flight, at Nikki Duncan
- Eva Gordon, author of Beast Warrior, at Bitten by Books
- Keri Arthur, author of Bound to Shadows, by/at Nobody Writes It Better
- Keri Arthur, author of Bound to Shadows, by/at Eleni’s Taverna
- Carolyn Jewel, author of Indiscreet, by Meljean Brook
- Meljean Brook, author of Demon Forged, by Carolyn Jewel
- Erica Hayes, author of Shadowfae, by Christina Phillips
- Chloe Neill, author of Friday Night Bites, at Writings Of A Wicked Book Addict
- Gail Carriger, author of Soulless, at Elitist Book Reviews and at Juiciliciouss Reviews
- Christina Kelly, author of Constant Craving, at Fang-tastic Books
- Carrie Vaughn, author of the Kitty Norville series, at Book Chick City
Fifty-Two Stories has posted their latest short story, which happens to be Killer Heart by Barb Johnson.
SciFiGuy has news for fans of Jacqueline Carey. There will be a sequel to Santa Olivia, which will be called Santitos at Large. However, since her publisher wasn’t aware of the existence of the sequel, it wasn’t planned for during the 2010 publishing season so we’ll get it early in 2011. Doug is also telling us that Jacqueline will have a story in the upcoming anthology Star-Crossed Lovers which edited by Gardner Dozois and George R.R. Martin.
If you’re not aware, I’ve been playing around with Goodreads for a couple of months now and guess what I came across:
- Maria Snyder has a title for the third Glass novel, which will be Spy Glass and will be available October 2009;
- Rachel Caine has a title for her ninth Weather Warden novel, which will be Total Eclipse and will be available August 3, 2010.
Of all the fantasy authors out there, I have to say I’m a huge fan of RA Salvatore, but I haven’t read nearly enough of his stuff. With that said, Suvudu posted the cover art for The Bear, the last book in the Saga of the Firtst King series by R.A. Salvatore, which was done by Todd Lockwood. I’m not sure when it’s due out, but here’s another series I need to add to my TBR list.
If you’ve been following the Twitter story by Elena Michaels (of Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series), then you probably already know this, but Armstrong has posted a short story that takes place shortly before Frostbitten. I haven’t had a chance to read it yet, but something tells me that Message ties the Twitter story in with Frostbitten.
Ilona Andrews has posted a snippet for the second Edge novel. This one focuses on William and I have a feeling it’s going to be good (aside from the fact that it’s an Andrews novel which is always good). There’s just something about the socially-awkward, short temper alpha that I love.
Melissa Marr is also posting snippets of her upcoming release, Radiant Shadows, the fourth Fae novel. Just be warned, there are multiple snippets and each one is only 140 characters long since they originally appeared on her Twitter account.
HarperTeen is offering The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening by LJ Smith as a free read. I want to say this is only available for a limited time and non-downloadable, so if you want to read it, I would get to it soon.
Rachel Caine has also posted the first three chapters of her upcoming release Fade Out, which is the seventh Morganville Vampires novel.
If you’re like me and have been intrigued by Kelly Gay’s The Better Part of Darkness since it’s been popping up all over the place, you now have the chance to read the first chapter.
SciFiGuy always has an amazing collection of news in his Weekend Reports and while I don’t want to mimic all of it, I do want to point out a few things he found:
- He has news of the next Dark Ones novel by Katie MacAlister. The Vampire Also Rises will be out in November 2010 and will focus on Benedikt and Francesca (a/k/a Ben and Fran) as well as incorporating a few other types of beings in addition to the Dark Ones.
- Larissa Ione has announced a tentative title to the fifth Demonica novel, which will be Sin Undone.
Anna’s Book Blog has the cover art and a feature on Moon Craving by Lucy Monroe.
All Things Urban Fantasy has the cover art for Linger by Maggie Stiefvater, which is the second Wolves of Mercy Falls novel
- Anton Strout revealed the cover for the anthology A Girls Guide to Guns and Monsters which features his story ‘Lupercalia’ and has contributing authors: Nancy Holder (of Buffy fame), Tanya Huff, Lilith Saintcrow, Jim Hines, Jeanne Stein, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Nina Kiriki Hoffman, and more.
- Season of the Witch? I haven’t heard of this movie yet, but the trailer looks awesome. Does anyone know if this is based off of the Natasha Mostert novel? If so, I really need to get my hands on it then.
Julie James is giving away a copy of The Rest Falls Away by Colleen Gleason, and Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh. Contest ends October 30th at 10p CST.
Lurv a la Mode is giving away TWO copies of Blaze of Memory by Nalini Singh. Contest closes at 6am on October 28th.
Fantasy & SciFi Lovin’ is giving away a copy of Arch Enemy by Frank Bedor. Contest ends November 9th.
Be sure you check out SciFiGuy’s Weekend Reports, he mentions a lot of contests with various deadlines. And I do mean a lot.
A beautiful fugitive—wanted dead or alive.
Kyra is a con woman and a particular kind of thief. She steals with a touch, but she only takes one thing: her target’s strongest skill. Which means she can be a fighter, an athlete, a musician, an artist—anything she wants… for a limited time. Heartbroken, she turns her gift toward avenging her father’s murder; with deadly patience, Kyra works her way into casino owner Gerard Serrano’s inner circle. After pulling off the ultimate con, she flees with his money and his pride.
A hit man who never misses the mark.
Reyes has nothing but his work. Pity for Kyra, he’s the best and mercy never sways him once he takes a job. He’s been hired to find out where Kyra hid the cash—and bring her back to face Serrano’s “justice.” Dead will do, if he can’t locate the loot. He’s never failed to complete a contract, but Kyra tempts him with her fierce heat and her outlaw heart. So Reyes has a hell of a choice: forsake his word or kill the woman he might love.
I got a copy of The Better Part of Darkness by Kelly Gay and it was GREAT! I highly recommend. My review is posted on http://www.nightowlromance.com. I also reviewed Skin Game which is smoking hot and a great read!
Thanks for the mention, Jackie! :D
Thanks for the link. Would you please add my site to your SF/F/H Reviewers section?