For those interested, I have updated the submission guidelines for review requests. At this time, I am being very selective on what I will accept in order to get what I have reviewed. With the addition of Jennifer and Tricia, I’m hoping we’ll be able to get caught up fairly quickly. If you’ve sent an email, I am not ignoring you and will respond to you shortly.
Don’t forget to check out these two contests at Literary Escapism this week!
- We’re giving away a signed copy of Firespell by Chloe Neill. Contest ends Mar 25th.
- We’re giving away an ecopy of When Dreams Bleed by Robin Pope Cain. Contest ends Mar 30th.
Carrie Vaughn has unveiled the cover for the first of two stand alone novels that are going to be released tonight. Discord’s Apple is described as being a contemporary fantasy, with a little near-future apocalypse thrown in, and a whole lot of Greek mythology on the side. You’ll be able to get your hands on a copy of Discord’s Apple on July 20th.
Evie Walker rushes home to the small town of Hopes Fort, Colorado, when her father falls ill. There, she discovers that she’s the heir to a family heritage that runs much deeper than she ever imagined. She also discovers that the Trojan War isn’t really over — Hera still wants that apple, you see. And it’s sitting in Evie’s father’s basement.
Dark Faerie Tales has a great roundup on the latest novels getting ready to be published.
- Aleta Rafton, cover artist for Kalayna Price’s Grave Witch, by Dark Faerie Tales
- Mark Henry, author of Battle of the Network Zombies, by Book Chick City
- Carolyn Crane, author of Mind Games, by the Book Smugglers
- Eva Gordon, author of Werewolf Sanctuary, at Patricia’s Vampire Notes
- Erica Hayes, author of Shadowglass, at Australian Romance Readers Association
- Maria Snyder, author of Inside Out, by Today’s Adventure
- Maria Snyder, author of Inside Out, by Book Journal
- Shayla Black, author of Delicious, at Border’s True Romance
- Jeaniene Frost, author of First Drop of Crimson, by Last Bite (link via Jeaniene’s blog)
- Jacqueline Lepore, author of Descent into Dust, by Bitten by Books
For fans of Julie Kenner, she will be writing a new paranormal romance series titled The Shadow Keepers and the first novel, When Blood Calls, will be released September 28, 2010. Dark Faerie Tales has all the details on the first three novels in this series, but I’ll let you know that the second novel, When Pleasure Rules, will be released in November, followed by When Wicked Craves in December.
The winners and honorable mentions for the 2009 PEARL Awards were announced and quite a few of my favorites made the list. Did yours?
For all you True Blood fans out there, BenBella Books is publishing the A Taste of True Blood: The Fangbanger’s Guide, which will be released June 26, 2010. Contributing authors include: Peg Aloi, Bruce and Karen Bethke, Philippa Ballantine, Jacob Clifton, Daniel Kimmel, Alisa Kwitney, Maria Lima, Peter B. Lloyd, Nick Mamatas, Joseph McCabe, Vera Nazarian, Paula Rogers, Bev Katz Rosenbaum, Jonna Rubin, Kirsty Walker.
A Taste of True Blood: The Fangbanger’s Guide gives those fans something to savor between episodes—and whets their appetite for more. Covering the show’s first two seasons and released just in time for the third (with real-time online updates from the book’s contributors throughout season three), the book includes pieces on:
- Vampire Bill’s season 2 slide from hot to not
- Sookie’s mind-reading talents as a critique of our oversharing Facebook culture
- What a Louisiana setting adds to the traditional vampire myth
- Why the television series had to differ from the books (co-written by the Southern Vampire mysteries’ editor Ginjer Buchanan)
- And much more, from shapeshifters to maenads to Merlotte’s
A Taste of True Blood also includes a quick reference guide to the show’s first two seasons.
All Things Urban Fantasy has another fabulous list of over 130 contests going on around the blogosphere.
Erica Hayes Contest Winner
Erica stopped by Literary Escapism to discuss how her characters talk to her. While she was here, we gave away a copy of her new novel, Shadowglass – to one lucky winner. All anyone had to do to enter was answered this one simple question: Which character would you like to talk to?. Now, without further ado, the winner is:
VAN P, who said: I would love to talk to Kate Daniels, Merit, Faythe Sanders, Jane Jameson and Raine Benares. .
Congratulations Van! You have one week to send me an email at myjaxon AT gmail, otherwise I’ll draw a new name when I post the current week contest winners next weekend.