Every reader has been there: we’ve all read a book that made us moan and groan in frustration before deciding it wasn’t worth our precious reading time to finish it. So, we put the book down, quit reading the series, blacklist the author, or sometimes, even refuse to read anymore from that genre. (That last one is a little extreme, but I have heard about it happening.) So I came up with an idea: Second Chances. For every book, series, author and even genre that you’ve given up on, Second Chances challenges you to go back and try it again.
If you’ve given up on reading a book, go back and try it again. If you’ve decided a series is too blah, try reading the next book, to see if it picks back up. If you’ve blacklisted an author, go try any other book by them. And if you’re avoiding an entire genre, go look around, see if anything catches your eye and give it a try.
This challenge is meant for readers to go back and see if they made a rash decision when they blacklisted an author. Maybe you’ll realize that you just weren’t in the right mood for that book when you first read it. Or maybe you’ll realize that you and that author just aren’t meant to be. Either way, this time you’ll know for sure.
Here are the guidelines:
- The challenge will run from January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013.
- Since this is a Second Chances challenge, there is no restriction on choosing your novels. They can definitely be from other challenges. However, the authors, series, books and genre must be something you gave up on – whether it’s a novel or a novella, all you have to do is try a different novel from that author, series or genre.
- I want this to be an easy challenge, so you can pick to do either 15, 25 or 50 Second Chances. It all depends on how fast you read and how adventurous you want to be. If you reach your goal halfway through the year, don’t stop. Any author you give a Second Chances to can be added to Mr. Linky. We all want to know about your Second Chance experience.
- After giving a book/series/author/genre a Second Chance, write your review and then come back here and add your link to Mr. Linky. Make sure you include your name and the author, but adding the title is completely up to you.
- Bloggers or Non-Bloggers alike are welcome. You don’t have to have a site to participate. You can link up via Facebook, GoodReads or even Amazon if you’d like.
So what do you think? Are you game to try a few new authors? If so, join the challenge by clicking here.
Once you reach your goal, you don’t have to stop. Any Second Chances you give, go ahead and head back here and add it to the list. Tell us why you gave the second chance and if it was worth it. You never know, you may inspire someone else to give that book/author/series/genre a second chance as well.
Grab the Button! NAC2012.500×323 | Second Chances.300px | Second-Chances.200px
Disclaimer: Robot artwork used (with permission) is from Robots in Love by Vlad Gerasimov. Please be sure to post a link to the artist when using the button – thanks!
Want to join in? Sign in below, using the pattern in the #1 slot!
When you’re signing in with Mr. Linky, please leave either your name or your blog name followed by the author you tried – i.e. Jackie (Melissa Marr) or Literary Escapism (Melissa Marr). Please do not add wrap-up posts here. If you would like to add a wrap-up post, please leave a link in the comments. (Mr. Linky will be added on January 1st).