I am a huge fan of Diana Gabaldon’s OUTLANDER series and I keep hearing how people want to read this series, but never do. Sadly, I haven’t read any of the Outlander novels since A Breath of Snow and Ashes came out in 2005. The seventh novel, An Echo in the Bone, has already been out for a year and the eighth novel, Written in My Heart’s Own Blood, will be coming out soon (although not soon enough). So I’m thinking I really need to get reacquainted with Jamie, Claire and all the other wonderful characters in the Outlander novels by starting from the beginning. I’m also thinking this is the perfect time for all everyone who keeps saying they want to read it, to finally picking them up. Plus, for those who have read Outlander, but haven’t picked up the Lord John novels – yea, I’m including those too. *grin*
So for 2012, I’m hosting the Outlander Reading Challenge. Here are the details:
- The challenge will run from January 1st through December 31st.
- The goal is to read all 7 Outlander novels as well as all 4 Lord John novels and graphic novel, listed below, or as many as you can or want to do. (I don’t like inflexible reading challenges, so don’t stress out if you don’t think you’ll be able to get through them all).
- Once a month, we’ll get together and chat about where and what we’ve read (more details about this to come).
- After reading one of the novels, write your review and then come back to the main challenge page and add your link to Mr. Linky. Make sure you include your name and which title you’ve read.
- Bloggers or Non-Bloggers alike are welcome. You don’t have to have a site to participate. You can link up via Facebook, GoodReads or even Amazon if you’d like.
During the last weekend of each month, let’s gather to discuss whichever novel we’re currently on. I’m thinking, with 11 novels being focused on, a person could concentrate on doing one a month – so it makes perfect sense to discuss the books at the end of the month. Plus, do we really need a reason to get together and talk books? At the end of the month, I’ll post a genreal discussion post on Literary Escapism and we’ll convene right here on the site to discuss the month’s Gabaldon read. I’ve posted the order below and I hope everyone is able to join in. By posting the discussion threads here on LE, I figured this would make it easier for people who don’t want to log into Twitter or Facebook and I can make it so the post doesn’t get lost amid anything new happening. Plus, people won’t have to be tied to their computers for any length of time and can come and go as one likes during the discussion.
- Janaury – Outlander – the discussion has been posted here.
- Feburary – Dragonfly in Amber – the discussion has been posted here.
- March – Lord John and the Private Matter – the discussion has been posted here.
- April – Voyager
- May – Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade
- June – Drums of Autumn
- July – Lord John and the Hand of Devils
- August – The Fiery Cross
- September – The Scottish Prisoner
- October – A Breath of Snow and Ashes
- November – An Echo in the Bone
- December – The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel
Want to join in? Sign in below, using the pattern in the #1 slot!
When you’re signing in with Mr. Linky, please leave either your name or your blog name followed by the Outlander title – i.e. Jackie (Dragonfly in Amber) or Literary Escapism (Lord John and the Hand of Devils). I’ll add a new Mr. Linky for wrap-up posts later in the year. Thank you. Mr. Linky will become active on January 1, 2012.