Today, I am excited to welcome Shannon Delany, who will be celebrating the release of her first novel, 13 to Life, on June 22th.
Jessica’s life seemed difficult enough since the sudden loss of her mother, but meeting Pietr Rusakova turns her world upside down again. The newest member of Junction High, Pietr is a first generation Russian-American, a fact that by itself makes him different enough to get lots of attention in the small town. But Pietr is far more than good looks and an interesting accent, Pietr has secrets to hide-secrets including dramatic changes he’s undergoing that will surely end his life early. Secrets dating back to the Cold War get the better of Jessica’s curiosity, leading her into an exciting and dangerous world where her understanding of reality and what makes a man or a monster will be challenged.
Hi. I’m new here. Heck, I’m new to being a novelist, too. My first novel, 13 to Life (and the first in a series St. Martin’s Press is launching starting June 22) is the first manuscript I really and truly finished. It’s also the first story I wrote including werewolves and a criminal underground that actually exists today.
As a matter of fact, my path to the publication of 13 to Life has been filled with firsts. People who don’t know me might think I’m doing (and have done) all these new things because I’m incredibly brave. Nope. Not the case. I just get bored easily and have enough curiosity to wipe out the lives of many cats (though no animals–normal or paranormal–have been harmed in the making of my books).
Since Literary Escapism supports authors who are first-timers, I think I’ll share a list of firsts that came about during my path to publication.
- First time I ever ranted on my blog (before Textnovel.com changed its winner’s contract for its first-ever contest and I decided to compete).
- First time I competed in an online contest for writers (at Textnovel.com).
- I was named the winner of the first-ever cell phone novel contest in the western world (with 13 to Life).
- I won a first-timer agent (I became his first client).
- I was contacted first by a movie producer and major publishing house (before queries went out).
- First trip to RWA, RT and BEA because of having a contract.
- First time meeting my publisher and editor.
- First time joining a group of other first-time authors through the Class of 2k10.
Lots of things have changed in my life because of being on the path to publication and change is definitely a theme in my 13 to Life novels. I invite you all to take a literary escape with me and pick up 13 to Life when it hits shelves June 22!
Thanks so much for hosting me!
OOOOOHH… This one looks really intriguing. I had to pre-order it, of course! LE is so great for finding new authors, and so bad for my wallet. LOL
Thanks for sharing some of your firsts! Really looking forward to the release!