I totally don’t have enough science fiction or straight fantasy on the site. It says Paranormal AND Fantasy Reviews up there and it’s really heavy on the PNR and UF. So I’m going to change that. I really want to get more of the SF/F genres on LE since they are natural companions to the PNR/UF genres. So I’m looking for someone who enjoys and will read either science fiction or straight fantasy (the high/epic/dungeons and dragons kind), preferably both, but of course, there are some stipulations.
Literary Escapism is looking to add a reviewer who will only review science fiction and/or straight fantasy. I am not looking for someone who is looking to expand out of the UF/PNR genres into something new; this person must already be a fan of the genre and have a knowledge of it. This new reviewer will not be receiving any UF/PNR novels and will be expected to submit one review a week for a total of 4-5 reviews per month.
The new reviewer will also be held to the same standards of the current LE Staff:
- Have an interest in Fantasy (High, Epic, Dragons, etc) and/or Science Fiction (including SF Romance) and will be wiling to review most anything that gets requested. I’m not saying you’ll like everything, but I get a lot of new authors in these genres requesting reviews and they are the ones I really hate turning down.
- Be willing to read and review four to five books a month, agreeing to submit one review per week and be willing to read books on a deadline. While I understand reading is merely a hobby for many, LE is the only job I have and I tend to treat it as such since I do receive books for review.
- Literary Escapism has gone digital for review copies, so an e-reader is a must. I am accepting ARCS that are sent 45 days in advance, so you must also be willing to give me your address, so if I do receive any, they can magically appear on your doorstep. This is one bonus to being a reviewer. One caveat, you must be a US resident.
- Understand that being an LE reviewer means…
- free books are not a guarantee and are only available when I have them or requests are sent. However, reviews can be written for anything you read and your commitment to reviewing five books a month is not contingent upon receiving free novels.
- there is no compensation for this position other than being able to keep whatever books that you review.
- successfully complete a 30-day probationary period which will involve reading and reviewing your own books or ebooks prior to receiving any from LE.
- reviews should be written in a professional manner.
- being open to constructive feedback from both readers and myself.
- any review posted on LE cannot be submitted to another review site; however, a snippet may be added to Amazon, Barnes & Noble, GoodReads, LibraryThing, etc (and is encouraged) with an ending tag line indicating the full review can be seen at LE.
- Upon agreeing to being a reviewer, I expect you to read and review all novels acquired through Literary Escapism regardless if you like them or not – even if that means a review indicating you did not finish the book as long as you state why. Any review is better than no review from a readers perspective as long as you’re honest (and tactful).
- Be willing to try something new. I can not guarantee that I’m receiving the latest and greatest in any genre, therefore I’m looking for anyone who is willing to try something new even if it’s not immediately appealing.
- All potential reviewers should have no ties to the publishing industry, review for another paranormal or non-paranormal fiction review site, or have your own review site.
Hopefully, none of this sounds unreasonable, but I’ll be honest, Literary Escapism is my baby and the only job I currently have, so I am really hands on when it comes to reviews. Nothing gets published without me going through it once and I’ve been known to ask for more before posting it (even my husband has been subjected to this). One thing I would like to stress is all reviews have to be based on one’s honest opinion. That is one of the many aspects that I take great pride in and I will not jeopardize that at all.
For anyone who is interested in joining Literary Escapism, please email me at jackie AT literaryescapism DOT com with a subject of either LE Fantasy/SciFi Reviewer, stating your interest and a review of a novel you have recently read. Any emails without a review will automatically be deleted. If anyone has any questions, simply email me without the subject heading (but if/when you are willing to submit a review, please use the appropriate heading).
Love fantasy, including epic, and can read a book in a day and pound out a review. I tend to hold no punches though but would love to help you out.