I hope everyone is having a great start to the New Year. To start off the first Escapist Newsletter of the new year, we have the cover for King Maker by Maurice Broaddus, the first book in his Knights of Breton Court trilogy, which will be released March 4, 2010. Make sure you click on the image and enlarge it because it has some spectacular detail on it. I’m in love with the dragon on the building.
Fugitive by Cheryl Brooks (Cat Star Chronicles #5)
Inked – anthology featuring – Karen Chance, Marjorie M. Liu, Yasmine Galenorn, Eileen Wilks
Heart of Darkness – an anthology featuring Gena Showalter, Maggie Shayne, Susan Krinard
Come Hell or High Water by Michele Bardsley (Broken Heart, OK #6)
Wicked Enchantment by Anya Bast (Dark Magick #1)
Naked Dragon by Annette Blair (Works Like Magic Novel #1)
Death’s Mistress by Karen Chance (Dorina Basarab #2)
Coming Undone by Lauren Dane
Bone Magic by Yasmine Galenorn (Sisters of the Moon #7)
Through Stone and Sea by Barb & JC Hendee (Noble Dead)
Blood Cross by Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock #2)
Scoundrel’s Kiss by Carrie Lofty (Scoundrel #2)
Smolder by Melina Morel (Institut Scientifique #3)
Firespell by Chloe Neill (Dark Elite #1)
Bleeding Violet by Dia ReevesThe Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw
Dark Succession by Teresa D’Amario
Succubi Like It Hot by Jill Myles (Succubus Diaries #2)
Undead Much by Stacy Jay
The Mammoth Book of Irish Romance – an anthology with a massive collection of authors
The Seventh Witc by Shirley Damsgaard (Ophelia & Abby Mysteries #7)
Spider’s Bite by Jennifer Estep (Elemental Assassin #1)
Unperfect Souls by Mark del Franco (Connor Grey #4)
Ecstasy Unveiled by Larissa Ione (Demonica #4)
Prince of Storms by Kay Kenyon (The Entire & the Rose #4)
Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter y AE Moorat
Night Tides by Alex Prentiss
Twice as Hot by Gena Showalter
From the Author Sites
The first new cover from me today is for the next Love at Stake novel by Kerrelyn Sparks. The Vampire and the Virgin is set to release on March 9, 2010 (according to Amazon) and will be the eighth novel in the series. For the full blurb, check out SciFi Guy’s reveal.
We knew that Ann Aguirre is stepping into the YA genre, right? She currently has listed two new post-apocalyptic novels that are slated as “coming soon”. Mmmm…wonder when we’ll get more information on this or have I missed something?
Colleen Gleason has two appearances in Michigan this month. On January 14th, you’ll be able to find her at Nicola’s Books in Ann Arbor, Michigan (7pm) signing novels as Joss Ware. On the 15th, she’ll be in Brighton, MI at the Borders Books & Music (7pm) where she’ll be signing as Joss Ware again. I think I’m going to try and talk the hubby into letting me go on the 15th, so if anyone else is there look me up. I may or may not have Ian with me, so if there is a rowdy toddler, that’ll be me. :P
If you haven’t been to Laurell K Hamilton’s site in awhile, then you’re missing out on the new design. There are moments I like it and others when I don’t, but the first thing that sticks out is the new covers for the Anita Blake series. They’ve been reprinted them with covers similar to Skin Trade and Blood Noir. Some of the covers are a little weird, but there are some I can see.
- Ilona Andrews has posted another excerpt from the second Edge novel, which is titled Bayou Moon. Andrews has also posted Part 1 and Part 2 of a new Curran POV from Magic Strikes.
- Nancy Holzner has posted an excerpt for her upcoming novel, Deadtown.
- Melissa Marr has posted the prologue and chapter one and the second chapter to the fourth Fae novel, Radiant Shadows.
- Belle Bridge has posted an excerpt for Kalayna Price’s second Haven novel, Twice Dead, which is due to release sometime in 2010
- Stacia Kane has posted a snippet of her third Megan Chase novel, Demon Possessed, which will be released February 23, 2010.
- Jennifer Estep has posted a prequel, Spider’s Bargain, to Spider’s Bite, the first novel in her new urban fantasy series. to read Spider’s Bargain. Jennifer also has available the first chapter of the first three books in the series – Spider’s Bite, Web of Lies and Venom.
- Anya Bast has posted an excerpt for her upcoming novel, Wicked Enchantment.
- Lauren Dane has posted another excerpt for her upcoming novel, Coming Undone.
- Yasmine Galenorn has posted a snippet from the next Sisters of the Moon series, Bone Magic.
- Charlaine Harris has posted Chapter 1 of Dead in the Family. FYI…it’s a PDF.
- Laurell K. Hamilton has the first chapter of Flirt posted.
- The first seven chapters of SM Stirling’s A Taint in the Blood has been posted.
- Amazon has posted an excerpt for Gena Showalter’s Twice as Hot.
- Rachel Caine has an excerpt posted for Kiss of Death, the next Morganville Vampire novel
- Gerry Bartlett has an excerpt posted for the next Glory St. Clair novel, Real Vampires Hate Their Thighs. (Another PDF)
Lauren Dane has posted the title to the second Phantom Corps / fourth Federation Chronicles novels. We’ll have Mesmerized sometime in 2011. I don’t get the two series distinctions, but maybe Insatiable will give me some clues when it comes out July 5th.
And that’s pretty much it from the author websites. I’m going to blame the holidays for the lack of news since everyone is probably still partying away 2009.
What Bears Repeating
Jeaniene Frost has exciting news. The first two novels in her Night Huntress series, Halfway to the Grave and One Foot in the Grave, will be coming out in audio books. There isn’t a release date yet, but she’s hoping they’ll come out soon.
Sharon Ashwood let it slip during her interview at Patricia’s Vampire Notes that the third novel in her Dark Forgotten series will be Unchained, which is due out July 6, 2010.
Larissa Ione reveals the title for her fifth Demonica novel in her newsletter. Sins Undone has a vague release date of Fall 2010. In more Demonica news, Larissa has agreed to write four more novels in her Demonica series, however, this will not be in the direct plotline of Esctasy Unveiled or the rest of the series. The plot for the four novel will be introduced in EU and book five, but then the four novels spin off in their own direction.
Kim Harrison has posted her tour schedule for Black Magic Sanction and I am excited! She has added some new cities to her tour (she’s coming to three different ones in Michigan!), so make sure you check it out to see if she’s coming closer to you.
For those who are not plugged into Twitter, Melissa Marr announced the title to the fifth Fae novel. We’ll be able to look forward to Darkest Mercy, which I’m told still follows the opposite attraction of the previous Aisling novels, but I don’t see it. Either way, we now have a title.
Is there anyone else that loves finding fairy tales with a new twist to them? Shiloh Walker began a new series called the Grimm Circle. I just recently read the first novel, Candy Houses, and loved it (review coming soon), and I just found out that the second novel, No Prince Charming will be released at the end of this month. I’m not one who normally preorders books, but I definitely did with this one. The Grimm Circle series are being released as ebooks from Samhain, but they are totally worth the read. Here’s a look at the next novel, No Prince Charming as well as an excerpt..
Elle spent years trying to get over her so-called Prince Charming, and she’s finally getting the hang of it. A Grimm—a guardian angel with unique gifts—she spends her nights trolling for demons and kicking ass, and lately, her days have been spent with her on-and-off-again lover, Ren, a fellow Grimm. But fate has other plans in store for Elle, plans that include Michael, the prince from her youth who broke her heart.
“What do you choose…live for her? Or would you rather die?” That was the choice Michael was given all those years ago. Although he knew she’d never forgive him, when Michael was given the chance to become a Grimm, he took it. Still, he isn’t so sure Elle needs him in her life. With a lover at her side and a mission before her, Elle looks like she’s doing just fine without him.
But the not-so-charming prince isn’t going to back off that easily…not if there’s a chance she might need him again. He’d do anything to save her. Kill for her, live for her, die for her…
From the Reader
Smexy Books has an awesome collection on the writings of JR Ward. If there’s something you want to know about either the BDB or Fallen series, go check it out. Mandi is keyed into the Warden Forum and she has a lot of great info for the site (which is making me want to get to Lover Enshrined so I can catch up).
Orbit has posted their Spring/Summer 2010 release list. If you go look, make sure you have your TBR handy because you’re going to be adding to it. Looks like there is going to be a lot of good stuff coming out next year.
The 44th Bookworms Carnival has been posted at Book Gazing and the theme this time around is Rebellious Woman. I am going to assume that anyone who reads UF these days should find something of interest at this stop. :)
SciFi Wire has an expose on the new cast members for season three of True Blood. I’m not sure what I think about them yet. There are a few faces I’m eager to see (Alcide, Crystal, Russell), but they are adding a few that either shouldn’t be showing up yet or haven’t before.
Fifty-Two Stories has the final short story of 2009 posted, which happens to be Cicada Cadence, Katie Didn’t by Craig Davis.
If you’re looking to delve into some great science fiction or fantasy, Suvudu has their top 10 novels of 2009 up.
- Nancy Holzner, author of Deadtown, by Falcata Times
- Dan Elconin, author of Never After, by The Shady Glade
- Maria Snyder, author of the Study novels, by Pages
- Nancy Holzner, author of Deadtown, by Sara’s Urban Fantasy Blog
- Nancy Holzner, author of Deadtown, by The Book Smugglers
- Chloe Neill, author of Friday Night Bites, at Park Avenue Princess
- Yasmine Galenorn, author of Bone Magic, at RWA: Fantasy, Futuristic & Paranormal Chapter
- Amy, founder of the BBAW & My Friend Amy, at The Book Smugglers
- Molly Harper, author of Nice Girls Don’t Live Forever, by Amberkatze Reviews
- Molly Harper, author of Nice Girls Don’t Live Forever, by Ellz Readz
- KMont, founder of Lurv a la Mode, at the Book Smugglers
- Doug Knipe, founder of SciFiGuy, at the Book Smugglers
- Katiebabs, founder of Babbling about Books, at the Book Smugglers
- Angie, founder of Angieville, at the Book Smugglers
- A.M. Dellamonica, author of Indigo Springs, via a podcast by Bookotron
- Clare Willis, author of Once Bitten, by Bite Club
- Jenna Maclaine, author of Bound by Sin, by Wicked Little Pixie
For the full listing of this month’s interviews, click here.
Samhain Publishing is giving away a free ebook of the winner’s choice. Contest ends January 4th.
This month, there were 52 different covers revealed, so needless to say, I’m not posting them all here. Sorry guys, but I did save them all over at the Facebook Fan page. So if you want to see all of them, head over here; however, that doesn’t mean I won’t paste some of them here.