Petra Lang is cursed never to love. One touch of her skin unleashes the vilest demons. Sentenced to death by the Shadow authorities, who fear she’ll turn her curse against them, Petra is rescued by vampire advocate Nicholas Montegue. As their bodies merge and transform into mist, Petra feels an erotic longing.
Nicholas risked his own life to save Petra, yet he knows he can never give in to the explosive attraction he feels for her. But the deep yearning they share tempts them. Together, they must find a way to lift the curse. For only a love this strong has the power to overcome such monstrous evil.
Make sure you stick around to the end. We’ll be giving away a copy of When Wicked Craves to a lucky reader.
Summer may be on the outs, but to my way of thinking, autumn is the best month for reading. Here in Texas, it’s still hot (as in shorts and tank tops are fine and dandy) but there’s a nice breed, cool shade, loads of iced tea, and a sky so blue you feel like you
could fall into it.
And in my mind, that’s escape weather—escape to a park, escape for a walk, escape to the beach. Or just escape into imagination—your own, or an author’s imagination preserved in the pages of a book.
We’ve recently moved to a new house, and despite the boxes littering the place (I’m considering shellacking them and calling it modern art) the yard has been a priority. Getting the back porch comfy. Planting pretty fall blooms to look at. Installing a patio ceiling fan for a cool breeze, and fluffing up the pillows. My goal is to have a little outdoor retreat where I can lose myself in a cup of coffee, a breeze, and imagination.
I’ve even got a little table set up where I can prop up the iPad, pull out my wireless keyboard, and work on my next book. It’s the best kind of escape, actually. Sliding into another world that’s not only fictional, but also fantastical. And I’ve been having so much fun sliding into the dark and twisty world of the Shadow Keepers. I’m currently working on book 4, WHEN PASSION LIES, along with a companion e-novella (fun!), but the first two books (WHEN BLOOD CALLS & WHEN PLEASURE RULES) are already on shelves, with the third one (WHEN WICKED CRAVES) coming next month, so if you’re in the mood to join me for a leisurely day of reading (inside or out!) I hope you check them out.
The premise of the books is pure escapism…bounded by harsh reality. The “what if” behind the book is this: what if all the creatures you thought were the stuff of nightmares really exist? Possible, right? But then why don’t we hear more about them? Attacks on humans? In-fighting among these strong, supernatural beings? Because those in the shadows police themselves, and all are subject to an ancient judicial system that investigates, apprehends and adjudicates those who break the Covenant, an equally ancient system of laws designed to keep control over the shadow creatures and ensure that chaos doesn’t reign—and that humans remain safe.
Of course, not all of it is pure escapism. After all, I practiced law for years and years before quitting to write full time. So in some ways, it’s like revisiting the old day job. Except the old day job didn’t have vampires, werewolves, daemons and succubi. At least not that I know of!
I hope you check out the series…and I hope you have a fabulous autumn. It’s almost Halloween, and I definitely hope you get more treats than tricks.
You can learn more about the books, read excerpts, enter contests, and do all sorts of fun stuff at www.jkbeck.com — or follow me on Twitter (www.twitter.com/jkbeck) or friend me on Facebook (www.facebook.com/authorjkbeck).
Want to purchase JK’s novels?
- When Blood Calls at Amazon or the Book Depository
- When Pleasure Rules at Amazon or the Book Depository
- When Wicked Craves at Amazonor the Book Depository
Blood Lily Chronicles writing as Julie Kenner
- Tainted at Amazon or the Book Depository
- Torn at Amazon or the Book Depository
- Turned at Amazon or the Book Depository
Demon-hunting Soccer Mom writing as Julie Kenner
- Carpe Demon at Amazon or the Book Depository
- California Demon at Amazon or the Book Depository
- Demons Are Forever at Amazon or the Book Depository
- Deja Demon at Amazon or the Book Depository
- Demon Ex Machina at Amazon or the Book Depository
Contest Time! JK has graciously offered to give away a copy of When Wicked Craves to a lucky reader. All you have to do is answer this one question: Where do you like to escape to read?
As always, there’s more ways of getting your name in the hat (remember, these aren’t mandatory to enter, just extra entries):
- +1 for each place you post about today’s contest on your blog, social network, or anywhere you can. Digg it, stumble it, twit it, share it with the world. Wherever you share it, make sure you add a link to it along with your answer.
- +1 to any review you comment on, however, comments must be meaningful. Just give me the title of the review and I’ll be able to figure it out from there.
- +1 If you are a follower of Literary Escapism on Facebook and/or Twitter
- +10 Purchase any of JK’s novels (listed above) or any novel through LE’s Amazon store or the Book Depository sometime during this contest and send a copy of the receipt VIA email for your purchase to: jackie AT literaryescapism DOT com. Each purchase is worth ten entries.
There is one thing I am adding to my contests now…the winner must post a review of the novel someplace. Whether it is on their own blog, Amazon, GoodReads, LibraryThing or wherever, it doesn’t matter. Just help get the word out.
I have not been contacting winners, so you will need to check back to see if you’ve won.