One of the beautiful things about the New Author Challenge is it gives everyone a chance to try someone they haven’t before. Someone they’ve been meaning to or have just recently discovered. It’s also a great time to finally pick up a novel by someone who keeps being recommended.
With that in mind, for the first mini-challenge of 2011, we’re going to focus on a certain genre that seems to be picking up a lot of steam lately. I don’t know about anyone else, but Steampunk has been totally making the rounds and what better time to pick up a new novel than right now? I seriously can’t be the only one who wants to try steampunk, right?
I mean check out all these great titles: Bookman by Lavie Tidhar, Boneshaker by Cherie Priest, The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook, Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld, Soulless by Gail Carriger, Steamed by Katie MacAlister, Steampunk by Ann VanderMeer and Jeff VanderMeer, Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, Clockworks and Corsets by Regina Riley and The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder.
So let’s explore this new genre together. Here are the details for the challenge:
- You do not have to be a participant of the New Authors Challenge, but if you’re not, why not?
- The Challenge will run from February 1st through the 28th. All reviews must have an February 2011 date.
- The goal is to read up to 5 different steampunk novels. Write up a review on your blog and then come back here and add your link to Mr. Linky.
- The idea is to try a new author (it is a New Author mini-challenge), so hopefully everyone will be able to find something new.
To add a little incentive for this mini-challenge, each participant will have a chance to win a novel from Literary Escapism’s prize stack. Here are the contest details:
- At the end of the month, I’ll draw one winner from all the reviews posted. The winner will be announced by March 8th, so you’ll have until March 3rd to get your review into Mr. Linky (remember though, all reviews must have a February date).
- Each participant will have 10 chances to get their name in the drawing – 1 entry for each book reviewed (up to 5) and an additional entry for a second place you review said book. For instance, if you read The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook and review it on your blog and Amazon, you’ll get 2 entries.
If you are trying a new author, make sure you include them in your list for the main New Author.
When adding your link to Mr Linky, please use the following format: your name (title of the book – author). Whether you want to put your name or your blog name is up to you. I’ll be closing Mr. Linky at 9pm EST on March 3rd, so make sure all your links are added by then.
Now…who has everyone tried?
*Zeppelin courtesy of maleficently