It’s that time of year again – where reading challenges for 2011 are popping up and people begin looking to see what they want to do. Back in 2008, I challenged myself to read over 50 new authors and managed to do 56 that year. For the third year in a row, I’m challenging everyone else to try a new author as well. Whether they are a debut author, in a genre you’ve never read before or someone you just haven’t had a chance to get to, here’s the nudge you’ve been needing to make the time.
The idea behind this is to find new authors that you’ve never tried before. They can be in your genre of choice or be brave and try something new. You never know what you’re going to like until you try it. If you’re looking for some suggestions, you can check out the Author page here at Literary Escapism or the 2009 and 2010 Challenge pages. With over 1000 reviews posted, I’m sure there will be something there for everyone.
Here are the guidelines:
- The challenge will run from January 1, 2011 through December 31, 2011.
- Since this is an author challenge, there is no restriction on choosing your novels. They can definitely be from other challenges. However, the authors must be new to you and, preferably from novels. Anthologies are a great way to try someone new, but only a third of your new authors can be from anthologies.
- I want this to be an easy challenge, so you can pick to do either 15, 25 or 50 new authors. It all depends on how fast you read and how adventurous you want to be. For me, I’m trying another 50 new authors. If you reach your goal halfway through the year, don’t stop. Any new author you try can be added to Mr. Linky. We all want to know about your new experience.
- After reading your new author, write your review and then come back here and add your link to Mr. Linky. Make sure you include your name and the author, but adding the title is completely up to you.
- Bloggers or Non-Bloggers alike are welcome
Once you reach your goal, you don’t have to stop. Any new author you try, go ahead and head back here and add it to the list. Introduce us all to whoever you find. Afterall, there’s no reason to stop trying new authors, right?
In 2010, month long mini challenges were added and I’m going to continue doing them again in 2011. The first one will take place in February and the last one for 2010 is currently underway (Men in UF!)
To sign up for the 2011 New Author Challenge, click here.