Yup, you saw that right. I was semi-joking around about this on Facebook a week or so ago, but people seemed to like the idea, so let’s do it. It’s a Name the Baby Contest and Pool.
Want to help name the newest monkey to join the LE household? Jesse and I have been scrambling around trying to think up a good one and we can’t agree on anything! The first time around, we had Ian’s named picked out by the time I was 6 months along. This time, we don’t even have a short list and we’ve reached the 6 month mark.
Here’s the most important part of the contest – the prize. Up for grabs is two $15 gift certificates to any bookstore – winners choice as long as I can order it online. Be it Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Chapters, wherever. That means it is definitely open to international entrants.
Now the details. This will be a two-pronged contest and will have two separate end dates.
- Name the Baby: All you have to do is suggest a name. That’s it. There are some guidelines, which will follow shortly, but you can suggest as many as you want (one name per entry). Whoever picks the name Jesse and I end up going with, they’ll win one of the gift certificates. If more than one person suggests the same name, we’ll use the Research Randomizer to determine the winner. This side of the contest will stay open until a name is announced. If we end up picking a name that wasn’t recommended, we’ll randomly chose a winner from all entrants.
- The Pool:Its the classic baby pool – guess the weight and date of birth. That’s it. Initially, this wasn’t in my plans, but the comment was left that if I’m going to do a name the baby contest, I might as well do a pool as well. Hence the reason there is two gift certificates instead of one. That’s right, the second gift card will go to the winner of the pool. This side of the contest will stay open until the monkey pops out, obviously since we won’t know the stats until then. Here are some stats we do know.
- That’s obviously me with the bump. The picture was taken on April 10th, so it’s still fairly new.
- My due date is August 26th, but Ian showed up 2 weeks early.
- Ian’s weight at birth – 7lbs and 15oz
The main thing to keep in mind is that we are having a boy. We do know this for a fact (I have photographic proof thanks to the wonderful radiology tech), so we won’t be picking a girls name.
I mentioned there were a few guidelines for names. If wouldn’t be fair if we didn’t tell you what we’ve already determined, right?
- The name has to be pronounceable. If the kid is old enough to talk, the name shouldn’t be too hard for him to say. At the same time, I have an issue with words that include a lot of “s” sounds – if I can’t say it correctly the first time, the man won’t approve it.
- Certain names are already out: Ian (obviously); anything starting with a “J” (there are already six of us with “J” names); any name that is currently in the Top 50 of any baby list for the past two years; Nathan (there are three in my circle of moms already).
- Jesse prefers common names – i.e. William, Robert, Samuel; I like uncommon, but not rare, names – i.e. Ian, Connor, Evan (all of which are not eligible).
- Keep the weird away. This means no weird spellings or names. The name has to be easily spelled (Jesse loathes it when people spell his name wrong). Common misspellings are fine – i.e. Kathryn/Katherine – but any Wardisms are out. I have no problem giving the kid a unique name, but it can’t be a WTF name – i.e. Heaven, Apple, Rumor.
- Jesse says it has to be a name, not a noun.
- I like the name Ash(e) or Asher for a middle name and Jesse hasn’t completely veto’d it. So if you can suggest a name that works with either of those, you could have a good chance. Like I said he hasn’t said one way or the other, so don’t go off that alone.
That’s pretty much it. Can you see why Jesse and I have an issue with names? Girls names, we’re pretty good with, but we can’t agree on a boys name. Jesse isn’t totally against the uncommon names, but he doesn’t want it to be unrecognizable either. I would have loved to name the monkey Zarek, but Jesse has veto’d that one. Also, number six mentions middle names – you do not have to suggest a middle name, you can if you want, but its not necessary.
That’s probably a lot of information. I’m trying to give everyone a fair chance, so hopefully I did. Now, in order to enter the contest, all you have to do is fill out the form below. Remember, one name suggestion per entry, but you can enter as many times as you want.
Update as of 4/26: you guys are awesome with all of your suggestions. Although, don’t put Ash or Asher if you’re suggesting a first name that will fit with that. Trust me, I’ll be doing that. However, the more Jesse sees it, the less chance I’ll get to use it. *grin*
Also, list of names that have been veto’d for anyone who wants another chance:
- Caleb, Nathan, Logan, Brody, Ben, Evan, Keith, Kevin, Jordan, Connor, Cameron, Ethan, Mason, Alex, – all names currently used in my Mom’s Group.
- Tegan – one of the girls in our group.
- Eli – my sister is pregnant as well and she’s already claimed that one.
- Bradley and Timothy – they count as common for me. *grin*
Congrats! No matter what you name the monkey, I wish you all the best!
Patti – Yes, I’ll share some of the suggestions, but after I get back from RT. Ian will be exactly 3.5 years if I give birth on my due date.
Congratulations, will you be sharing some of the suggestions? How much older is Ian than the new baby? (My son’s name is Ian too – he’s 16 though)
Anyone who watched BSG knows why I don’t like Zarek
Oooh…I love baby names. (Much to my brother’s annoyance…I have loads of girl names I keep suggesting for my niece-to-be!) Aiden is currently one of my favorite boy names.
I also really like Colin.
Congratulations!! I’m looking forward to hearing what name you actually pick :o)
Ariel. I like it as a boy’s name, also because I’m a fan of Shakespeare and the Ariel in the Tempest is commonly played by a male.
Date – August 24th
Weight – 8lbs 4oz
I have made a couple of suggestions. I used the form. I have a question though. I know we can enter as many names as we wish, once per entry. On the entry form you ask us for a date and weight as well. Should we use the same date and weight with each entry or can we take multiple guesses at that too? thanks!
We had a tough time agreeing on a name for our son. So, we went with the name we talked about 17 years ago (15 years before my son was born….lol). Unfortunately it is one you wouldn’t want to use as it starts with a J, and your hubby may think I spelt it wrong….lol!! His name is Jessy!
Marilu – you can fill out that form as many times are you want and stick in as many dates as you want….Mmm, wait a minute. That would make it too easy for people to suggest every day in August and some in September. As many names as you want – up to 5 dates/weights. But you don’t have to fill in anything that isn’t required. If you only want to suggest a name, then don’t do the weight and date thing. Two separate contests. *grin*
Azriel – make sure you use the form as that’s how the winner will be determined.
So I threw up a new picture. This one has Jesse and Ian playing hide and seek with the belly.
Where is the form?
Connor sounds nice with Ian, Jesse and Jackie.
Here’s my name suggestion for you:
All the best with all things baby!
Apologies for writing in the “Asher” – i see now that you didn’t want us to do that! live and learn ;)
Good luck to you! :)
P.S. Sorry if this isn’t the right place to post suggestions– I couldn’t see any other form!
Name suggestion: Quentin or Quinton
DOB: August 15, 2010
Weight: 8 lbs. 5 oz.
I don’t see any form below either. :( I’ll check back later to see if I missed it. Fun contest!
Stupid forms….when I made the update, it bjorked the html for the form. Alright, it should be up and I’ve added all the entries from the comments above this.
Aprily – Connor was one I was thinking of, but then one of the new moms in my group has a kid named Connor and he’s not even one yet.
I see the form now! Thanks.
I filled out the form too late for my brain to work! Could you change my “February”s and “March” to August(s) and a September?
Congrats on the bump! I hope you are doing well!
I am adding my ‘favourite’ names to your list. Maybe you will like one of them ;)
I’ll add some of my favorites too. Is Ian named after Ian from the Night Huntress Series?
No, Ian is not named after Ian from the Night Huntress series. I actually found Jeaneine Frost when Ian was 10 months old, so the name had already been sealed at that point. It is a great name though.
Although, strangely enough, Max is one of the names we’ve been tossing around as well. Highly unlikely we’ll use that name though – my brother-in-law loves that name.
Being the mother of three boys, finding different and unique names was difficult.
My oldest boy was given an old family name which is also his father’s name. My husband was named after his grandfather. Harlen. (just think Har lynn). When he was in second grade, a high-schooler was helping out with his class. She was so taken by his name she decided when she has a son, his name would be Harlen.
Then I always liked the name Gabriel. Finally, as we got close to the 8 month mark, he relented and said “Gabriel Hunter it is!”
All the cool names were already taken by his family like Damon. He also said “No weird ass names, no gaelic names, no dark-hunter names
harman, herman, warren, elias, raymond, wyatt, Clarance, Clifton, Abner, Albert, Julius, Lemuel, Orian, Rufus, Wiley, Markus, Neal, Lorentz, Tobias, Gabriel, Eugene, Elisha, Lonnie, Oliver, Arnold, Roland, Dirck, Aubrey, Gilbert, Ephriam, Murray, Uriah. Zachariah, Norman, Frederick, Claudius, Ichabod, Tobias, Aubrey, Uriah. Jonas,
those are a few that i found in my famly tree…have fun with them.
My name suggestion is Diego. I love this name! :)
I’d avoid something with an S, C, X or Z. Just in case the child grows up to have a lisp. (I’m serious here.)
Your home is valueble for me. Thanks!…