I’ve been seeing the challenge posts going up around the blog for next year so I thought I would throw the next edition of the New Author Challenge up. So here it is.
I’ve been doing this challenge for the past couple of years and have had a lot of fun. However, this year, I’m going to try and be a little more consistent with doing monthly updates and what not. I don’t know about everyone else, but when I first started book blogging, I didn’t know that many authors in my favored genre, so I went looking. I gave myself a goal of finding 50 new authors and ended up reading 56 the first year I did this. I loved finding these new worlds and cultures, so I want to help others find new ones as well. Since 2007, I’ve tried over 100 different authors I may not have tried otherwise and I have found some great new authors.
The idea behind this is to find new authors that you’ve never tried before. They can be in your genre of choice or be brave and try something new. You never know what you’re going to like until you try it. If you’re looking for some suggestions, you can check out the Author page here at Literary Escapism or the 2009 Challenge page. With over 1000 reviews posted, I’m sure there will be something there for everyone.
Here are the guidelines:
- The challenge will run from January 1, 2010 through December 31, 2010.
- Since this is an author challenge, there is no restriction on choosing your novels. They can definitely be from other challenges. However, the authors must be new to you and, preferably from novels. Anthologies are a great way to try someone new, but only a third of your new authors can be from anthologies.
- I want this to be an easy challenge, so you can pick to do either 15, 25 or 50 new authors. It all depends on how fast you read and how adventurous you want to be. For me, I’m trying another 50 new authors. If you reach your goal halfway through the year, don’t stop. Any new author you try can be added to Mr. Linky. We all want to know about your new experience.
- After reading your new author, write your review and then come back here and add your link to Mr. Linky. Make sure you include your name and the author.
- Bloggers or Non-Bloggers alike are welcome
Once you reach your goal, you don’t have to stop. Any new author you try, go ahead and head back here and add it to the list. Introduce us all to whoever you find. Afterall, there’s no reason to stop trying new authors, right?
If you want to join me, you can sign up here.
O.K., I joined at the 15 level!
This is one challenge that I can’t pass up. This year I gave myself a small goal of authors to meet, and I surpassed that by nearly 15, so far, lol.
Signing up now :)
I joined and would love to go for 50. I forgot to put the number on Mr. Linky, I was too excited:) So, we don’t count any we read now right? We wait and start our count on January 1st?
Don’t count any you read right now. The challenge starts on the 1st.
I signed up and will go for 15 new authors. I am excited to start on January 1, 2010.
I like your site. I wondered if there was anyone or anything out there to help encourage people to read other authors besides the ones that are often listed on the New York Times bestseller list. Check out my recent publications on Amazon.com.
Nicholl McGuire, Published Author
Laboring to Love an Abusive Mate
When Mothers Cry
I thought I signed up already – silly me. Add me for 50